About Us.

My photo
We are Dylan Hillman and Jake Self. This is a look into our amazing lives and how we live it. We are here to show you some useful ways to live, review things, but mostly just show you things we think are rad.

14.2.11

Guest Post #2- Road Trips

Alright I asked my buddy Thunderbird if he could would like to do a guest post on RadLife. He was more than happy to. Here is his post. Read and Enjoy! -Dyl.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAD ROAD TRIPS

If you want to get out of town and need somewhere awesome to go, look no further. Here are a few of my favorite road trip destinations:

DALLAS

I go to Dallas so much I could probably make the drive blindfolded. My favorite place to hang out in the Big D is Lower Greenville Avenue -- the area has my favorite music venue ever (The Granada Theater), a ton of great bars and restaurants (try the fish tacos at Aw Shucks) and the more-than-good Good Records (owned by Tim DeLaughter of Tripping Daisy and The Polyphonic Spree). There also used to be a Johnny Cash mural on the side of a building around here, but alas, it is no more.

If you’re feeling adventurous, go jump off stuff at Zero Gravity. Or visit the always-reliable Six Flags. Is it sad that I’m 30 years old and have had a season pass for the past 5 years?

Oh, and best rest stop ever at Exit 571A. Free beef jerky. You’re welcome.


Johnny Cash
The Granada Theater

MEMPHIS

Went to Memphis for the first time in 2007 on a whim, and now I go back every chance I get – I love the music history in this dang place. It probably sounds really tourist-y, but I can’t pass up a visit to Sun Records, Gibson Guitar Factory, or Graceland -- the tackiest, greatest place ever.

If you’re looking to get into some trouble, you can probably find it on Beale Street (though it’s not near as frightening as Bourbon in New Orleans, at least to me). Minglewood Hall usually has a good rock show or two going on.

Rex and Thunderbird.



NASHVILLE

The drive is fairly long (about 9 or 10 hours from Shreveport), but that’s no problem with plenty of caffeine and a little extra gas money. You’ve gotta take a tour of the Ryman Auditorium (or catch a show). If you’re an art fan, Hatch Show Print on Broadway can’t be missed – I always leave with a sweet print or two that I have no idea where to hang when I get home. Mercy Lounge is a great place for music…got to see Old 97’s and Delta Spirit there just last month.

Third Man Records is hidden away on the outskirts of downtown and the shop is the size of one small room. It’s a cool place to visit, though…but unfortunately Jack White doesn’t run the register like I’d hoped.

Also rad: The East Nashville area. There are a ton of small galleries and shops and a hot dog stand called “I Dream of Weenie.” All the cool kids hang out here.
Hatch Show Print
Ryman Auditorium
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

So there you go, a few of my favorite destinations – now hop in your car, crank up the music, and hit the road!



-Thunderbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment